An Eccentric Anomaly: Page 12: Houses

Ed Davies's Blog


Pages tagged: Houses

House construction, energy efficiency, etc

Mqttrunner Introduction

Four years ago, in 2016 November, I slung together a few hundred lines of Python to do some logging of data from around the house. It was intended as a plan-to-throw-one-away effort for exploration before writing something a bit more general. As with all things temporary, it's continued in operation since and has grown a bit to about 10'000 lines of Python and 5000 lines of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JSON, Rust, C/C++ and other eldritch horrors.

There are a few aspects of it which might be worth discussing so a brief overview to give some context seems a good way to start.

More...

Board on Board on Board

As previously noted, I'd got most of the easy bits of the east-gable cladding done by the end of August but it still took me most of September to finish off the lower part.

More...

Board-on-board Cladding

Here's how I've done the board-on-board cladding on the gable ends of the house.

More...

Frustrating Year

I don't suppose I'm the only person to have found 2020 pretty frustrating so far.

More...

Frustrating Day

Today has been a bit frustrating and nicely encapsulates how the year as a whole has gone so far.

More...

December, January and February

Unlike more southern bits of Britain, the northern part of Scotland hasn't had exceptional short-term quantities of wind or rain this winter but the wind and rain has been rather unrelenting; there have mostly been only a few isolated dry days.

More...

October and November

After getting the roof membrane put on early in October I was fairly busy for the rest of the month running around with minor things. November has been distinctly quieter.

More...

More Watertight

The house is now a lot less leaky than it was at the end of last week.

More...

Kitchen Window Sash In

As I hoped, I got the kitchen window sash in today. It's big.

More...

More Windows

I ruined the first attempted window for the south side of the main bedroom on June 15th. After that I was fairly depressed for about three weeks. Losing the not-entirely-cheap window was a bit of a setback but I was more bothered that the windows had already taken long enough so far but I thought I'd at least got fitting them sorted but apparently not and I wasn't really sure where it had gone wrong - whether I'd bent the hinge moving the sash around before trying to put it up or somehow while lifting it. Getting out of that state wasn't helped by not sleeping well for various reasons including hiccups and a bad back.

Since then I've got the bathroom window and the replacement for the damaged main bedroom window in and the remaining three windows to hand with the kitchen window sash ready to be installed on the next nice day, tomorrow I hope.

More...