Kitchen Window Sash In

An Eccentric Anomaly: Ed Davies's Blog

As I hoped, I got the kitchen window sash in today. It's big.

I certainly don't need a bigger window for the kitchen and probably not for the living room or study. I'm glad I didn't put this size window in the bathroom.

It didn't go in without a struggle, though. It took me four attempts to lift it.

On the first attempt the lifting strop had got a bit off centre so I was having to support the left-hand side of the window. As it needs guiding anyway this wasn't really a problem. However, as with the previous windows, I had a piece of wood across behind the scaffold tower to hold it from falling out of the house. With this window being wider this got in the way and for a while I had the window jammed at an angle, not able to go up or down.

My big concern was that I'd bend one of the hinges in the process of getting out of this situation. I suspect that might have been the beginning of the problems on the window I ruined.

I did finish up doing a bit of cosmetic damage to the top left of the window frame.

After a bit of fiddling I got it free and lifted a bit higher but couldn't get it into place properly to engage the hinges with the strop off centre so I dropped it down again, re-made the strop attachment and replaced the piece of wood holding the scaffold tower with my 2m strop round the purlin above the window and tied off to the tower.

The next lift went very smoothly until I started to push the sash outwards to line it up with the hinges at which point the base of the tower started to slide out on one side. I released the push on the sash, stopped the tower moving with my foot and lowered it down again. Then I put a couple of planks down to brace the base of the tower in position.

When I lifted it again all went well until I attempted to get the hinges engaged when I found I'd made the mistake of putting the strop right over the bottom of the sash rather than feeding it through the ventilation slots. Feeding it through is much better because the ventilation part doesn't look so strong and also because the strop fouls on the sill part of the frame meaning the sash finished up a few mm too high for the hinges to engage properly.

So, down again, fit the strop properly, lift and in it went very easily. A few lessons learned, some specific to these wider and heavier sashes and some which I should have got from the earlier ones but simply forgot or messed up on.

The outside with its flashings on but no bib yet; I need some more Tyvek tape, ordered this evening, for that.

DJH asked what the view from this window's like. It was a bit hazy today so not much of the sea out to the horizon is visible, with the Beatrice oil platform and the Beatrice wind farm more usually to be seen and the north Moray coast from west of Elgin along past Buckie on clearer days. View looking slightly to the left (SE) from where the kitchen sink will be:

That's a C&F turbine poking up over the fall in the ground. It's a bit further away than it looks but it makes a quite handy windsock. Looking slightly right, just the west of south.

The buildings were a house until the early 1960s when they were abandoned (the family moved to a newly built house just down the road); now they're just used as barns.