Backing Plate

An Eccentric Anomaly: Ed Davies's Blog

Having mostly sorted out the temporary decking for the loft area I then rather sank into depression for a fortnight or so. The next step was to order the I-beams for the rafters. I knew I was going to do it eventually but in my state of mind I couldn't bring myself to pay out the significant sum of money involved.

That's now done (last Friday) and I've also sorted out a small issue with the connectors from the rafters to the purlins with the structural engineer. I need to order those connectors and the timber for the blocking between the I-beams and for the ridge beam.

Meanwhile, today was a lovely day so I thought I'd sort out the one remaining item on the house itself which needs doing before the roof can go on.

When I replaced the last post which was split at the end of last year I turned the purlin over. The bolts at the other end fitted the bracket properly but didn't line up on the backing plate so I decided to turn that backing plate over and drill new holes in it, too.

This had always been my backup plan if I couldn't get a backing plate to fit. Up to that point they'd all actually gone OK, though some needed a bit of persuasion.

I didn't do that in the autumn because it would have meant leaving the newly drilled holes out in the weather. Even with galvanizing paint that'd not be ideal so I left it to this year on the assumption that it'll get covered up pretty soon.

I was very paranoid about the galvanising on the post-base brackets as they'll be exposed (though screened from immediate weather) for the rest of their lives whereas these post-top brackets are pretty much inside the insulated envelope. The structural engineer didn't even specify galvanising for them and I contemplated getting them powder coated instead but decided it would be simpler to get the lot galvanised together.

Anyway, today I drilled through an OSB template and used that to redrill the backing plate. First hole drilled and second one spotted:

All drilled and it seems to fit quite nicely.

It's now well squirted with galvanising paint and drying in the container.

If I'd realised how easy drilling these plates would be I'd have not had the fabricators punch the holes in the first place. That would have saved me an awful lot of messing around in 2015 and 2016. Oh well, I'll know next time I build a house like this.